The SMART Hub

Welcome to the SMART hub. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts. Subscribers to the forum can also gain valuable access to software tools & updates, as well as potential job & work opportunities. Do come in and feel free to browse through the site.

Search results

1. Clive

Welcome to our new members!

Hello, and a warm welcome to our newly signed up members following the recent courses we are running. It has to be said that teh forum has been somewhat inactive lately, but we hope that with the influx of some new members, conversation will start flowing again and the place will be a useful...
  2. Clive

Insurance

I'll check on this when I can, but to my mind, if you are already an installer,/heating engineer/plumber and have the necessary insurances already in place, then you should be covered for ASHP installation work. If you are installing as an MCS accredited installer, you will have to take out a...
  3. Clive

heatloss calc

Hi Natasha, A reflective surface only counts if it is closer than 1 metre to the heat pump, and only if it is a solid wall, fence or other permanent solid structure (part of the house for example). Anything further away, or items like a bush or tree don't count as solid. I'll send out new...
  4. Clive

How to become a Subscriber

Hello Simon, Yes the forum is quiet at the moment, and I can't guarantee that there will be many opportunities coming through from other people, however we do occasionally have need for surveyors that we have trained to carry out heat loss surveys for us. Additionally of course, you do get the...
  5. Clive

Designer radiators

Natalie, apologies I missed this. I would input that as a single panel 500 high x 1500 long (or possibly 1600 if that size isn't recognised). Or, if you can get the information from the manufacturer, or a similar manufacturer about the output at the design temp.
  6. Clive

heatloss calc

Hi, if you have one of our heat loss calculation spreadsheets then this carries the basic disclaimer relating to the standards the tool uses and on the performance estimate page as well.
  7. Clive

Upcoming Training Courses

Full course details just posted up - see here: https://forum.smartsurveys.org/index.php?threads/basic-masterclass-heat-loss-courses-september-3rd-17th.39/
  8. Clive

Basic & Masterclass Heat Loss Courses September 3rd & 17th

Hi Everyone, We will be running a new short online course for heat loss surveys & calculations on Friday 5th and Friday 17th September. This will be broken down into 2 parts that can be attended consecutively on the day, or individually in the morning or afternoon depending on your needs. These...
  9. Clive

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to get a time slot in September, will let you all know by email as well as posting in here. Apologies for the delay on this, somewhat busier than anticipated!
  10. Clive

Converting a vaulted ceiling into a rectangle is correct for volume but not for lengths!

I've spoken to Andrew about this, but to help others in future, here's the answer: Make sure you calculate the areas of the external walls - the gable end may be tricky, you'll need to to remember your triangles calculations from school! Enter the areas in as your external wall. Measure the...
  11. Clive

I'll be in touch in a week or so guys, just need to get something together and make sure there's enough people interested.
  12. Clive

Heat Pumps - a podcast

And I must apologise to Marc for waffling on so long and not letting him get a word in edgeways! 😆
  13. Clive

Survey opportunities

I'm starting to see some survey work coming in now in certain areas that I will need to get covered. Initially Birmingham & Peterborough. Full details and rates are posted in the Subscribers Centre, which is as the name suggest, for SMART Hub forum Subscribers. This may sound like a ruse to get...
  14. Clive

Hi Richard, When you ask for a link, do you mean to the course, or calculator? You should have been able to download the calculator when you attended one of our original courses. We haven't put the Masterclass course together yet, but I will post information of it on here when we do. Does that...
  15. Clive

Are we sleepwalking into a problem?

https://www.engadget.com/air-source-heat-pumps-uk-120044198.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9uZXdzLmdvb2dsZS5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAI6kp-JjE5dtqVebSXDodfAXmKcd6qU9BOnDR03VqvDahDaNFE73FcIeVhM0F7IGmv2aCj1ZF0MMDpUOCc_XTUY6tEN1TzJPeXsNhi4DJAxUnzcoPl7bSHUfBItfDNcY0LMEIARI-g2Z_TPx1_sxvE...
  16. Clive

The "Options for Energy Bill Reform" report

A little bit of 'light' reading for you all over the weekend. 😁 A report commissioned by a number of energy companies to outline the policy changes needed to meet the UK Govts target on heat pump installations. http://www.publicfirst.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/OptionsEnergyBillMaster.pdf
  17. Clive

What will replace gas boilers in new build homes from 2025 - The Heat is on.....

I think this is a well written article, with some input from Dave Pearson (Director of Star Engineering - very well respected Scottish large heat pump company). Worth a read. https://airqualitynews.com/2021/04/29/the-heat-is-on/
  18. Clive

What do the numbers on a TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) mean?

You may, or may not already know this, but it's a useful little guide to what TRV's actually do and how to use them properly. I can't take credit for this report, although I don't know who actually wrote it. Obviously it relates to radiators in use with a standard boiler, but may also apply to...
  19. Clive

Hydrogen heating - is it really the answer?

Doesn't appear to be as CO2 'friendly' as it's made out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57103298
  20. Clive

heatloss calc

Hi Andrew, I have some major upgrades to do to it, which I'll be working on over the coming weekend, so hopefully should get it to you early next week. Have you emailed me a suitable logo?